Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Cool job title

Like many ideas that come to me, this one was borne of a mistake ...

I don't know if it's because I scan-read before I really read, but I saw a job listing on a listserv the other day ... what I saw was :

Experience Cataloger

Of course what it really said was:

Experienced Cataloger

I've never been a cataloger and I probably never will be, but if I was going to catalog something, I think I'd focus on experiences ... I think that some think we do this already ... but I'm not convinced we have a way of rendering experiences so that we can find, match, and share them ... we're good with things and two-dimensional aspects of people (people are really just a collection of experiences, aren't they? -- like XTC said in The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul, we're just "a bag to keep life's souvenirs in") and even sort of okay with concepts, but experiences are too layered to catalog ... we need a multi-dimensional medium in which to do it ... I'm sure some one will mash something together shortly ... but for now, it remains nothing more than a cool job title ...

1 Comments:

Blogger nichole said...

And I thought it said ex-pierced cataloger!

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home