Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Definition of Community

Looking for a straight-forward definition of "community" ... then try someplace else, but if you want to read in interesting conversation about what community is, was, and will be, check out this conversation from CORANTE (via Nancy White at Full Circle). It's long, but full of precious bits and pieces and some damn good chunks!

I've been struggling with this issue of community of late, as I've been trying to figure out how to "build" it ... Our strategic plan calls for building community ... I guess I see it as an organic thing ... it grows ... it can be helped along ... watered, kept warm, and nourished by the light ... but built? ... hmmmm ...

I was reading Richard Florida's Cities and the Creative Class, and he talked about quality growth (which may be a way of describing economic community building) being determined by a community's approach to the 3Ts -- Technology, Talent, and Tolerance ... if you've got 'em, you build community ... if not ... well, you're just biding time until you go the way of the dinosaurs ...

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy White said...

Thanks to your pointer to the M2M article, you inspired me to update my piece on how people define online community. There are some additions. THANKS!

5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home